Saturday, February 11, 2017

Excerpt from Aurora, A Romantic Bride


Women cooed at Milford's mother as he and his father helped her to the stairway. Not a second later, they moved away and reached for a fresh cocktail. It was well understood. They were to remain until Mr. Jameson returned to give an update on his wife's health.
The conversation buzzed as Aurora moved closer to the patio doorway.
"I hope you are paying attention to your mother-in-law’s lessons on how to keep your social events forefront on society's lips." The woman, Gertrude, had come to stand next to her.
She was pretty in a no-nonsense sort of way. Her dark hair was pulled up allowing into a tumble of curls to fall from it’s holdings. Gertrude rolled her eyes and curled her upper lip. "All she had to do was feign a headache and excuse herself if she was bored with our company. Of course, that would not have made for gossip fodder."
"It does cut our evening short, which is distressful for some of the guests. This way, she cannot be blamed," Aurora said immediately, regretting her slip. "However, I'm sure she overtaxed herself today."
The woman smiled and Aurora immediately liked her. “Perhaps this is a good time for me to slip away. I find myself with a headache.”
Gertrude lifted an eyebrow. “I can certainly understand why.”
Not wanting to ponder what Gertrude knew, Aurora nodded and hurried away.
She went to her father, who stood next to doors leading outside to the gardens. "Enjoy the rest of your evening, Father. I'm going home. I have a headache."
He looked around the room and huffed. "Quite so. I'll join you." He motioned for her mother, who shook her head. "Ah well, she'll ride home with the Pattersons, I'm sure, as she will remain until the end to ensure our hostess is not in grave danger of sudden death," he mumbled. Aurora laughed, gaining astonished looks.
"Come, Father, before you get me in more trouble."


Read it Today on Kindle Unlimited and Amazon:   http://amzn.to/2giUJ2G




No comments:

Post a Comment